Saturday, November 6, 2010

Poppy John Comes to Africa


So you’re probably wondering why I’m calling my dad “Poppy.”  Well we were taking a taxi ride in town and I introduced him to the taxi driver as my father, John.  The driver then said, “Oh, Poppy John!  That’s how we call it in Ghana.”  This is just one small and interesting story from our time in Ghana, one that resulted in a cool new name…I wonder if it will stick?!

So last Friday (October 29th) my Fasha came to visit me in Ghana!  We had talked about it before I came here, but I didn’t know if it would actually happen…but he’s here now and I couldn’t be happier!!!  
Dad's first picture in Ghana!
I really love Ghana, but have been terribly homesick and it means the world to me to see my father here! 
Me and Dad at Kakum National Park
Momma – I wish you could have come too, but only 6 more weeks and I will be eating chocolate chip cookies with you!

So we have been having a great time, exploring many different aspects of Ghana including shopping at the markets, watching the chaotic fishing harbors, visiting a slave castle, teaching health in local schools, going to class and acing some quizzes, walking on the canopy walkway in Kakum National Park, and catching some rays by the hotel pools, all the while being serenaded by the sound of the ocean waves. 

Dad has gotten the chance to experience life in Ghana by using the public toilets (either you have to pay for it or are so grossed out you wish you didn’t have to go…or both), eating my host mother’s home cooked food (which he actually really enjoyed), riding the taxis and tro-tros (one of them he had to sit on my lap there were so many people, one he felt like he was going to fall out, and another we were preached at for about 20 minutes in the local language by some random passenger), bargaining for goods at the markets (we did quite well I do say and I love watching my dad get so excited about the awesome deals we are finding!), smelling the not-so-fresh fish (oh you know…the ones that have only been baking in the sun for hours and then are sold with all the body parts intact…ew), and ending most evenings with a nice, cold, Ghanaian-brewed beer with his wonderful daughter. 

And then we’ve done some enjoyable, but not so Ghanaian stuff including eating pizza at the “pizza hut,” watching “The Office” every night before bed (loving season 6!), going for a run through some random towns in the middle of no-where (let’s just say we got many odd looks), taking dedicated taxis to our destinations (most people use the shared taxi system), and sleeping in an air-conditioned hotel room (where I usually freeze my butt off, but dad enjoys it!).   

Here are some pictures of my father and I in Africa!


Dad carrying some cool merchandise we found walking through Cape Coast town
Same treasures, but sharing the walkway with the sheep
Cape Coast market - smoked fish (probably for the locals only)
Checking out the fishing harbor
Dad's fishing buddies - Richard and Mickey, fixing the net!
Dad at Kakum National Park about to brave the canopy walkway
Me and Dad on the canopy walkway - we survived!
Dad eating and drinking a fresh coconut.  The guy chopped it down from the tree just moments before.
Admiring the catch of the day - baracuda - turned out to be a tasty dinner for him
Trying some red snapper, complete with eyes, tail, and bones
At Elmina Castle taking a break on the 528 year old cannon
Elmina Castle and fishing harbor/market
Dad enjoying breakfast on the ocean!
Dad enjoying a brewskie on the ocean
Danielle and Dad just enjoying the ocean!
One final note, something that my father is really amazed at...on our way to Accra from Cape Coast today, we were stuck in real heavy and slow traffic where we were bombarded by street vendors.  Here is a list of some of the things they were trying to sell us...for real...
flashlights
phone credits
music CD's
car steering wheels
hats, cowboy hats
water bottles
canes
car wind shield wipers
super glue
air fresheners 
belts
headphones
binoculars
calculators
towels, wash rags
computer carrying case (all brands)
ties
plantain chips
maps
socks
clocks
door bell
hangers
wallets
sauna belt - heating pad
air pumps
car floor mat
chocolate
fire extinguisher
key chains
soccer balls
t-shirts
shoes
reading glasses
game board
thermal heated thermos
poly station (play station knock off)
computer key board
tummy trimmer exerciser
jump rope
CD car visor holder
children's clothing
mugs
DVD's
plastic flower pot car air freshener
thermos
school books
newspapers
men's shaving razors
water sachets
bread
kites
orange juice
cookies/biscuits
grapes
gum and candy
ice cream
shoe polish
paper towels
rubix cube
coffee cups
toys
peanuts
random food
pop, drinks


We actually bought the super glue to fix my sandals, and our driver bought wind shield wiper blades - too random!

We had a good time!


No comments:

Post a Comment